Chocolate Cranberry Pie
Chocolate Cranberry Pie Recipe; This uses chocolate wafer crumbs. An easy way to make these is to place the biscuits in a plastic bag. Tie the top tight and then crush the biscuits. You can use a rolling pin, bash with anything heavy or beat against something hard. You can o f course do it quickly in a food processor, but this bag method saves on the washing up.
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated or castor sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 tablespoons, low fat spread, melted
- Mix all together and use as a base in a spring form cake tin. Bake at 350F, 180 C, Gas 4 for about 12 minutes.
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1 packet ( I teaspoon) of unflavored gelatin
- 12oz fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- Pinch of salt
First, soften the gelatin crystals in four tablespoons of the juice. This takes at least 10 minutes. Using a saucepan, bring to a boil the remaining cranberry juice and the lemon juice, cranberries, sugar, lemon peel and salt. Stir continuously until the mixture boils, then simmer for a futher five minutes. The cranberries should be cooked but still keep their berry shape. Strain the juice into a bowl and add the softened gelatin mixture to this hot juice. Stir well. Replace the cranberries back into the juice and chill for at least eight hours or more. The mixture should be slightly thickened. You will add this topping to your chocolate cranberry pie recipe last, after the other parts are assembled.
- 8 oz (250 grams) Mascarpone Cheese, fromage frais or Quark
- 1/2 cup powdered / icing sugar
- 1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix all together and use to fill the cooled pie crust. Cover with the cranberry mix. Serve cold.
Variations – cherries, red currants, chopped mango, mandarins or other fruit of your choice could substitute for cranberries. You could use apple or grape juice in place of the cranberry juice. You could make the crust and topping the day before and then assemble when ready to serve.